This isn’t as cheap as it gets ($50 for bare bones) but the Skil 3550-02 model does come at a nice price and packs a punch in terms of quality per square dollar. Let’s take a look under the hood.
Basically what you have hear is a quality basic wet tile saw with good water capture and a good deal of extra power for $150-$160. That’s a damn good deal. Here are the BestTileSaws.com patented pros and cons:
- You will get a little water spillage despite the containment system (keep a towel handy)
- The water containment holder doesn’t come out so cleaning it out is annoying
- It’s actually so light that sometimes a slight push can move the entire saw (you’ll want to put something weighted behind it)
- The fence is moderately difficult to adjust and could have been designed better
- Cuts straight
- Compact and sturdy
- Really good, noticeable power for its price range
- Surface is aluminum, not plastic
- Guide bar has indicators on both ends making it easy to level out
- Extension works great for cutting larger tiles
- Set up is easy – takes maybe 20 minutes at most
Click here to read customer complaints and praise.
Now SKIL makes another model wet tile saw that’s about $60 cheaper so you might be asking yourself why buy the more expensive model. Here’s why:
You’re going to be cleaning a lot more water and muck with that model.
Both are good wet saws at a cheap price (read our SKIL 3540-02 wet saw review) for the budget conscious but if you have the luxury of spending another $60, we recommend you go with this model to save time and effort.
However, if you’re only doing a very small project, we’d recommend the cheaper model.
You can’t go wrong with either as they’re both solid, quality products.
$150-$160 is a very nice price for something that’s encroaching on mid-range quality. Obviously you have to sacrifice some features at this price but it’s a great value for the level of tiling it’s at.
Click here to see what size of tile the 3550-02 can’t make diamond cuts on (so says 1 reviewer at least).
We have no problem giving the SKIL 3550-02 a strong recommendation for DIYers and beginners with a couple of smallish-average sized projects on their plate. You’ll really get a bargain if you were contemplating renting from Lowe’s or Home Depot.
Rating 4.5 out of 5